Ann Purcell relates the following account from J.C. in England:
“One day during my [meditation] my head became full of light and the room was full of sunlight (and yet it was totally cloudy outside). It was beautiful. I felt healed, safe and full of nature’s forgiveness. After meditation I lay down for a few minutes and I felt as if I was lying gently in heaven’s cradle.”
[in Ann Purcell, The Transcendental Meditation Technique and the Journey of Enlightenment, (Green Dragon Publishing Group, 2015).]
Some similarities to Joseph Smith’s First Vision seem to include:
- A profound light with several qualities:
- Associated with one’s own head
- Encompassed everything around
- The light was like sunlight
- It was beautiful and/or glorious
- A feeling of being healed or forgiveness
- Afterwards, laying down on one’s back
- Feeling that one has experienced heaven
- Relaxing into that joy and love
Transcendental Meditation (TM) is one of many different forms and techniques of meditation. It focuses on mantras. Another well known method is vipassana meditation, which often focuses on one’s own breath.
If you would like to submit a “First Vision” account, either personal or found, for inclusion on this website, please click here.